Washington State Emergency Preparedness Supervisor (WMS 1) - DOH4051 in Tumwater, Washington
Emergency Preparedness Supervisor (WMS Band 1) Office of Emergency Preparedness and Response DOH4051
Are you interested in working for an organization whose mission is to improve State of Washington's ability to respond to acts of bioterrorism, outbreaks of infectious disease, and other large-scale public health emergencies or mass casualty incidents?
Are you a team player who models humility, has a hunger to work, learn and take on new challenges, and who understands how their words and actions affect others?
If yes, come Work@Health!
As the Emergency Preparedness Supervisor,you are responsible for collaborating with internal partners across the agency, with other state agency partners, and with local and tribal partners to develop products, procedures, and systems that improve our state's ability to effectively respond to public health and all-hazards emergencies. You will manage, develop, and coordinate the state-level public health emergency planning and response efforts for the agency, and supervise the public health preparedness team members. You are responsible for a staff of four (4) direct reports.
The mission of the Office of Emergency Preparedness and Response (EPR) is to strengthen all-hazards preparedness capabilities and build strategic partnerships to minimize the health impacts the people of Washington experience resulting from major emergencies and disasters. Learn more about EPR.
- Learn more about the position and to view the complete position description.
About DOH and our Employer of Choice Initiatives
Washington State Department of Health (DOH) works with federal, state, tribal, and local partners to help people in Washington stay healthy and safe. Our programs and services help prevent illness and injury, promote healthy places to live and work, provide education to help people make good health decisions and ensure our state is prepared for emergencies. To learn more about DOH, and DOH Infographic.
DOH is a great place to work and has implemented several "Employer of Choice" initiatives, including:
- We are committed to diversity and inclusion. DOH fosters an inclusive environment that encourages all employees to bring their authentic selves to work each day. We strive to hire, develop, and retain a competent and diverse workforce that is reflective of the customers we serve. View the DOH "Diversity is Rising"video.
- We have an engaging Wellness@Health program which offers programs that support healthy behaviors and work/life balance. Our program provides wellness education, access to healthy food, physical activity classes, stress relief, and many other resources to support a healthy you.
- We support a healthy work/life balance by offering flexible/alternative work schedules, and mobile and telework options. (Depending upon job duties.)
- We are making exciting steps towards modernizing our workplace by providing motivating and inspiring workspaces that promote creative thought, innovation, and collaboration among co-workers. Take the DOH Workplace Modernization Virtual Tour.
- We have an Infant at Work Program that is based on the long-term health values of breastfeeding newborns and infant-parent bonding. Eligible employees who are new mothers, fathers, or legal guardians can bring their infant (6 weeks to 6 months) when returning to work. (Depending upon job duties and work location.) View KING 5's Drew Mikkelsen report on the Infant at Work program.
What we're looking for:
Our ideal candidate is a transformative leader who is comfortable with innovation and creativity. A leader who is able to problem-solve complex issues, create meaningful partnerships, and work collaboratively to meet shared objectives, while creating a climate where people are motivated to do their best. A leader who supports and empowers staff when making tough decisions, who is willing to address difficult issues and say what needs to be said, and who recognizes the values that different perspectives and cultures bring to an organization.
Preference may be given to candidates with the following DESIRED experience:
- A Bachelor's degree or higher in Public Health, Emergency Management, Heath Care Administration, Public/Business Administration, or a closely allied field.
- Five (5) or more years of experience (full-time equivalency) in a public health, healthcare, public policy, emergency management, or related field.
- Three (3) or more years of demonstrated supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated experience in the following:
- Effectively using performance measures and data to identify opportunities and measure process improvement.
- Completion of National Incident Management System and Incident Command System training courses IS 100, IS 200, IS 700, IS 800, and ICS 300.
- Excellent written communications skills, including experience writing and editing documents intended for a variety of audiences.
- Excellent verbal communications skills, including presentation and facilitation skills.
- Knowledge of Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and Healthcare Preparedness Program Capabilities.
- Legally operate a state or privately owned vehicle.
This position reports to the Operations Manager of the Office of Emergency Preparedness and Response. Learn more about Washington Management Service.
The annual range of compensation is between $64,296 and $82,344, depending upon qualifications.
Washington State offers a full benefits package including vacation and sick leave, family medical and dental coverage, life insurance, retirement, and a deferred compensation.
The Washington State Department of Health (DOH) is an equal opportunity employer. DOH strives to create a working environment that is inclusive and respectful. It is our policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of our workforce. Applicants wishing assistance or alternative formats in the process should contact Cher Williams at (360) 236-4545, Cher.Williams@doh.wa.gov, or TDD Relay at 1-800-833-6384 or 7-1-1.
Intrigued? We'd love to hear from you. Click "Apply" to submit your detailed application profile along with the following:
- A detailed letter of interest that addresses your qualifications, as they relate to the position.
- A current and detailed resume
- Five (5) or more professional references, to be included in your profile.
DO NOT attach transcripts or other documents that are not requested in the Application Process, or that are password protected. These type of documents cause errors when downloading application materials and will not be forwarded to the hiring supervisor. Veterans, please feel free to attach a copy of your DD214 (redact SSN).
Live and Work in a Great State
Washington State offers a total work/life package of pay, benefits, flexibility and workplace opportunities to help you get the most out of your career and out of life. Washington State is a great place to work, play, and be a part of a community. Washington offers a quality of life that is unsurpassed. From the high-energy urban center of Seattle, one of the nation's top-ranked cities, to the more relaxed pace of our rural communities, Washington's distinctive Northwest lifestyle blends a progressive, creative culture with a casual nature.
The position is located in Tumwater, Washington, right on the edge of Olympia, city of the state's capitol. The Tumwater/Olympia area has a vibrant city with a small-town feel conveniently situated between Seattle and Portland, Oregon. Mount Rainier and the rugged Cascade Mountains provide majestic scenery to the east while Washington's Pacific Coast is just an hour's drive to the west. Tumwater enjoys the benefits of an engaged and educated community and a well-supported school system, with two universities and a community college within a ten-mile radius. Learn more about the City of Tumwater, and about the Olympia and the Thurston County area.
SUBSCRIBE to Jobs at DOH
Salary: $64,296.00 - $82,344.00 Annually
Location: Thurston County – Tumwater, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Health
Job Number: DOH4051
Closing: 5/1/2018 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504
Phone: View Posting for Agency Contact