Washington State Microbiologist 3 Lead (non-permanent) DOH4060 in Shoreline, Washington
Microbiologist 3 Lead (non-permanent) DOH4060
Public Health Laboratories
At the Public Health Laboratories, we provide diagnostic and analytical services for the assessment and surveillance of infectious, communicable, genetic, and chronic diseases and environmental health concerns.
As the Microbiologist 3 Leadin the Reference Laboratory, your main responsibility is to ensure lab testing requests are fulfilled in compliance with applicable standards (CAP, FDA, ISO). Reporting to the Microbiology Reference Lab Supervisor, you will organize staff on a daily basis to ensure all required testing is performed. The position will interact with customers and other Public Health Stakeholders to discuss issues, troubleshoot and improve lab services.
This non-permanent position is expected to last through December 2018.
About DOH and our Employer of Choice Initiatives
Washington State Department of Health (DOH) works with federal, state, tribal, and local partners to help people in Washington stay healthy and safe. Our programs and services help prevent illness and injury, promote healthy places to live and work, provide education to help people make good health decisions and ensure our state is prepared for emergencies. To learn more about the agency, visit the DOH website and DOH Infographic (PDF).
DOH is a great place to work and has implemented several "Employer of Choice" initiatives, including:
We are committed to diversity and inclusion. DOH fosters an inclusive environment that encourages all employees to bring their authentic selves to work each day. We strive to hire, develop, and retain a competent and diverse workforce that is reflective of the customers we serve. Watch the DOH "Diversity is Rising" video.
We have an engaging Wellness@Health program which offers programs that support healthy behaviors and work/life balance. Our program provides wellness education, access to healthy food, physical activity classes, stress relief, and many other resources to support a healthy you.
We support a healthy work/life balance by offering flexible/alternative work schedules, and mobile and telework options. (Depending on job duties.)
We are making exciting steps towards *modernizing our workplace *by providing motivating and inspiring workspaces that promote creative thought, innovation, and collaboration among co-workers. Take the DOH Workplace Modernization Virtual Tour.
We have an Infant at Work Program that is based on the long-term health values of breastfeeding newborns and infant-parent bonding. Eligible employees who are new mothers, fathers, or legal guardians can bring their infant (6 weeks to 6 months) when returning to work. (Depending on job duties and work location.) Watch KING 5's Drew Mikkelsen report on the Infant at Work program.
What will you be doing? – Duties include
- Perform and document staff training and competency.
- Review quality control data and test results for accuracy and release results to stakeholders.
- Follow-up when QC errors are detected including root cause analysis to prevent future occurrences.
- Provide subject matter expertise, troubleshooting, and technical advice to staff and stakeholders.
- Work with PHL management to implement all methods necessary to improve lab services.
Option 1: Bachelor's degree in microbiology or a major in another laboratory science provided that at least 20 semester or 30 quarter credit hours in microbiology are included andthree (3) years of experience in a microbiology. laboratory.
Option 2: Master's degree in microbiology or a major in another laboratory science provided that at least 20 semester or 30 quarter credit hours in microbiology are included andtwo (2) years of experience in a microbiology. laboratory.
Option 3: Doctorate degree in microbiology or a major in another laboratory science provided that at least 20 semester or 30 quarter credit hours in microbiology are included andone (1) years of experience in a microbiology. laboratory.
- Experience in Bacteria identification by both classical methods and molecular methods.
- Experience in antimicrobial-resistant testing.
- Experience in PCR and/or other molecular technologies.
- Experience with CLIA, CAP, or ISO quality management systems.
- Ability to train and oversee work of laboratory technical staff.
- Ability to develop, evaluate, validate, and implement new methods, procedures, and instrumentation.
- Ability to read, synthesize, and present technical information clearly, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to review laboratory test results and quality control data.
- Certified as Microbiologist (ASCP) or Medical Technologist (ASCP).
- Experience leading/motivating co-workers.
- Proficient in problem-solving, communication, customer service, interpersonal skills, cultural competency, achievement orientation, and team-oriented.
- Thorough knowledge of standard office software, such as Word, Excel, Visio, PowerPoint, etc.
Conditions of Employment/Working Conditions
With or without an accommodation, I am willing and able to:
- Work indoors, at a desk/workstation the majority of a workday, in an open office environment with possible conversation and other noise distractions.
- Use laboratory equipment for extended periods of time. Some equipment may require you to stand.
- Receive vaccinations due to potential exposure to certain agents within the laboratory.
- Use personal protection equipment (PPE) to include a respirator.
- Work in a tobacco, drug, and alcohol-free environment.
- Occasionally work in excess of 40 hours per week and/or to adjust normally scheduled hours, which may include evening and weekends.
- Move object weighing up to 40 pounds.
This position is covered by an "Agency Shop" provision. Therefore, as a condition of employment, the incumbent of this position must either join the union and pay union dues, or pay the union a representational another fee within 30 days of the date you are placed into pay status.
The Washington State Department of Health (DOH) is an equal opportunity employer. DOH strives to create a working environment that is inclusive and respectful. It is our policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of our workforce. Applicants wishing assistance or alternative formats in the process should contact Zach Covington at (360) 236-2406, Zach.Covington@doh.wa.gov, or TDD Relay at 1-800-833-6384 or 7-1-1.
Intrigued? We'd love to hear from you. Click "Apply" to submit your detailed application profile along with the following:
- A letter of interest, describing how you meet the specific required and desired qualifications for this position.
- A current resume.
- Three (3) or more professional references, to be included in your profile. Please include at least one supervisor, peer, and (if you have supervised staff) a subordinate.
DO NOT attach transcripts or other documents that are not requested in the Application Process, or that are password protected. These type of documents cause errors when downloading application materials and will not be forwarded to the hiring supervisor. Veterans, please feel free to attach a copy of your DD214 (redact SSN).
Click here to SUBSCRIBE to Jobs at DOH
Only applicants who follow the directions and complete the Application Process in-full will have their responses reviewed for consideration.
Education and experience selected, listed and/or detailed in the Supplemental Questions must be verifiable on the detailed applicant profile submitted.
This recruitment may be used to fill other positions of the same job classification within the office.
Salary: $4,623.00 - $6,062.00 Monthly
Location: King County - Shoreline, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Non-Permanent
Department: Dept. of Health
Job Number: DOH4060
Closing: 5/6/2018 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504
Phone: View Posting for Agency Contact